Do I need a carpet in the kitchen, where they often walk, pour water and scatter crumbs from food? For reasons of practicality, the premises for cooking and dining are made to be covered with ceramic tiles, linoleum or laminate, but not carpeting that is difficult to use and maintain. Meanwhile, interior designers notice that the carpet for a kitchen with a short nap made of synthetic materials is elementally cleaned. Samples of small sizes can be safely sent to the washing machine. Large-sized products are handed over to vacuum cleaners without a fight, even without a washing function.
But before you buy a carpet in the kitchen, you need to understand why you need it there. Several options. Experts place a soft coating in the dining area to accent it, visually separate from the working space. So often used carpets in Moscow. Due to the high prices per square meter of living space, not everyone can afford even a two-room apartment. This is where carpets ideally zoning small spaces come to the rescue.
Designers emphasize: the carpet in the kitchen must repeat the shape of the dining table. Otherwise, it will look ridiculous, knocking out of the general image of the room. The product should extend beyond the table borders by 60.70 cm. This will allow the chairs to be arranged so that all their legs are on the floor, otherwise the furniture will become loose.
Those who have visited people who dared to place a carpet in the kitchen notice: the room becomes more comfortable, touching the soft surface with your feet during lunch is much more pleasant than the cold tile. Do woven fabrics with a motley pattern is another plus. They are not noticeable crumbs and other small debris. It is possible to clean such products less often.
Mothers of little girls and boys often buy bright carpets from the children's series in the kitchen. They hold the little ones while their parents cook. For example, the sample Funky Rot Gray shows a car track with cars. A child can crawl along the road for a long time, imagining that he controls the painted races. The little princess will surely like to roam the streets of the town that adorns the funky Ugo Lime carpet.
Carpets are in the top 7 of the easiest ways to update the interior. There is no doubt that on the carpet, unlike smooth surfaces, you will not slip. Avoiding annoying injuries is especially important if there are children or elderly family members in the house. But if there are also animals in the apartment, the carpet can become a warehouse for their wool, you will have to clean the product more often. This, too, must be considered before making a choice.
Pros and cons
If you have an idea to use a kitchen carpet, then first carefully analyze the pros and cons of such a decision. First of all, it is worth considering the advantages:
- Soft coating is associated with comfort, therefore, will allow you to create an atmosphere of a home hearth and achieve the most comfortable environment.
- This accessory can perform several functions. First, you can use it for zoning, for example, to designate a dining group or center of a room. Secondly, the carpet can become a bright accent of the interior and refresh the design. Thirdly, the accessory can almost completely replace the floor covering if it covers the entire surface of the floor. And this will avoid the costs associated with repairs.
- The carpet will eliminate some of the shortcomings of the flooring. So, if tile was used for decoration, the accessory will make the floor warmer, especially in the winter season. Also, the carpet will reduce the slip of glossy materials. And if the coating is partially damaged, you can close this area and leave it hidden from prying eyes.
- If there are elderly people or children in the house, the carpet will make staying in the kitchen safer, since it will serve as an excellent shock absorption during falls.
- Spreading a carpet around the work area will reduce the likelihood of leg fatigue or discomfort during cooking.
- This is an effective and easy way to transform or change the design, to bring something fresh, new and stylish into it.
There are also disadvantages:
- This is not the most practical coating that requires special care. Dry and wet cleansers will have to be regularly carried out to remove crumbs and other contaminants.
- Since the kitchen is the place where food is prepared and consumed, it is simply unrealistic to avoid pollution. And some can penetrate into the material of the carpet and eats into it, leaving hard to remove stains.
- If used improperly, such an element of decor can reduce or “break” the space, and also make the interior ridiculous and tasteless.
How to make the right choice?
How to choose a carpet in the kitchen? When buying, you should follow these criteria:
- Dimensions. They will depend on the area of the kitchen, as well as on the specific location of the accommodation. Consider in advance where the accessory will be located, and also take measurements to select the appropriate model and organically fit it into the interior.
- The form should also correspond to the kitchen: both its area and configuration. So, if the room is square, it is better to choose a square or round carpet. And the corresponding accessory will fit into the rectangular room: rectangular or oval. Also available are unusual models with complex shapes and made in the form of some figures. But in a room in which people constantly move, such a carpet may be inappropriate and interfere with moving quickly and comfortably.
- Material. It is best to choose synthetic or mixed with the addition of natural fibers. Firstly, it is more durable, easy to clean, practical and resistant to high humidity and other adverse effects, and secondly, it has an affordable price. Natural material carpet can cause allergic reactions, suffer from moisture, absorb pollution and lose aesthetic appearance. And the accessory should not slide, otherwise the risks of accidental fall will increase.
- The base must be rubberized so that the carpet is securely fixed on the floor covering and does not move while walking on it.
- Pile. The shorter it is, the better, since crumbs from food and dust will certainly accumulate in the long-piled covering in the kitchen. Better yet, choose a lint-free model.
- Coloring and prints. When choosing a carpet, you should take into account the peculiarities of the kitchen design, so that it blends seamlessly into the interior of such a room. It is necessary to take into account the style in which the room is sustained, the basic color range, as well as the shades of the furniture. So, in a classic kitchen it is worth spreading a carpet or a carpet of simple geometric patterns. In the colorful Baroque, Rococo and Art Deco styles, heraldic patterns and noble shades are appropriate. Abstract prints and creative designs, as well as the most juicy and bright colors, fit into modern trends. In addition, the color of the carpet should be combined with a range of finishing materials and furniture, and it can both complement it and stand out due to the contrast. But you should not choose light colors: on such surfaces, any even minor dirt immediately becomes noticeable.
How can a carpet be used?
Purchase and thoughtlessly spread the carpet - a big mistake that can turn it from a stylish accessory to an inappropriate and extra. It is important to use such an element in the interior deliberately and correctly, so that it performs all its functions and complements the design.
The first way - the selection of the dining area. In this case, the carpet should be laid under the table and chairs, so that it denotes and delimits this area. The edges should extend beyond the table at least 60-70 centimeters in order for the sitting to have the opportunity to move chairs freely and comfortably.
The carpet can stand out from the floor, turning into a bright accent. When choosing colors it is necessary to take into account the range of the dining group, then the accessory will be harmoniously combined with it. In addition, the carpet must fully fit the table in shape and repeat its shape.
Mark the center of the room by spreading the carpet in the middle of the kitchen. But it is better to use this technique if the room is spacious and its central part remains free. If the area is small, then the carpet will surely be blocked by other elements of the interior, and then it will not be possible to fully implement the idea.
Spread the carpet on the floor in the work area. In this case, the carpet can repeat its contours and have a width sufficient for free movement. And you can use a small rug and place it directly in front of the table top or the pedestal, on which cooking is carried out.
Tip: if the kitchen area allows, try using two carpets or even make up the whole composition. So, you can choose a model of one color, but different in shape and size. Spread them in different areas: in the working and dining areas, in the center, near the window.
Choose a practical and stylish carpet for the kitchen and turn it into an interesting element of the interior.
Tip number 2: pay attention to the composition of the product
Choosing the same carpet, do not forget that not only the shape and color should be ideal - the performance and quality characteristics are no less important. Natural carpets are soft to the touch, look good and luxurious. But do not forget that they are subject to burnout and abrasion, and can also become an ideal environment for dust mites.
Synthetically, carpets are the most affordable option for the price and variety of colors. But even though they are easy to clean, they will not be able to serve you for a long time: they quickly lose their appearance and crumple.
Think about what kind of lifestyle you lead, how often you can do the cleaning. If you have children and pets in the house, choose the most practical models. A small carpet of artificial or mixed materials is the best option.
Tip number 3: correctly select the size of the carpet
Before you go to the store for a new carpet product, measure the area of the floor that you are going to decorate. To emphasize the necessary zones will help a small model. For example, for such a carpet there will definitely be a place in the living room near the fireplace. But compact dimensions are not always appropriate: if you are going to put the bed on the carpet, make sure that the product protrudes beyond its limits. For the living room, choose a carpet of this size so that it is wider than the sofa and covers the entire sofa area.
Tip # 4: Find the perfect shape.
The shape of the carpet, as its size and color, has a great influence on the perception of the interior of the room. Therefore, we think, calculate and weigh, which product is suitable for your home. An oval or round carpet ideally performs a decorative function. Place it in the center of the room, near the sofa area or window - the accents in the right place will be placed.
If you want to zone a room, you need one or more square carpets. So, in the living-bedroom you lay a small-sized carpet product near the dressing table, and in the sofa area it is the same, but bigger. Try to choose a carpet according to the shape of the furniture in the room. If in a coffee table, a sofa and armchairs, sharp corners prevail and straight lines - a square or rectangular carpet will definitely underline them. For round and smooth shapes, use oval or round patterns.
Tip number 5: pay attention to the invoice
Spill juice or spill something on the floor - if these situations are not only familiar to you, but also standard for your home, then you should forget about carpets with a long nap. For the dining area is also very impractical option. Leave the fluffy, shaggy and soft Moroccan carpets for the living room and bedroom - there is the place for them. But for the hallway and dining room best suited short or lint-free carpeting. They will look decent, and look after them is much easier. Remember that the finer and smoother the carpet texture, the easier it is to clean it.
Tip number 6: decide on the color and pattern
To create an interesting visual effect, to become a bright accent in the interior or to complement it harmoniously - with the correctly chosen color scheme of the carpet, you will certainly achieve the desired result. Does a living room in neutral colors seem boring and too calm? Then you need a bright carpet. Complete it with decorative pillows in the same color scheme - and a fresh and juicy living room will appear in your home.
If moderation and tranquility in everything is your creed, a carpet with a classic and unfashionable pattern will suit best. The main thing - to choose the right color of the product: it should be combined with the color scheme in the room, but it does not get lost. The difference in several tones is not only permissible, but necessary. Otherwise, your new carpet will be lost and will not fulfill all its functions.
We have already learned, as a multiplication table, that light shades visually expand the space of a room. This golden rule also applies to carpets, so light-colored models will be the best solution for small apartment owners. Monochromatic carpets of saturated and warm colors will visually narrow the room, and cold and calm ones will expand. Large pattern on the carpet is not the place in a small apartment: for its perception requires space and distance. But the size of the carpet for a room of modest footage should be as large as possible: do not split up the space with a small model.
Kitchen Carpet: Pros and Cons
After weighing all the pros and cons, it is not difficult to decide Do I need a carpet in the kitchen? To the benefits matting or another carpet in the kitchen include:
- protection of wooden or stone flooring from damage,
- comfort and warmth in a cold season, if the kitchen floor is tiled or covered with laminate,
- the ability to zone the kitchen, conventionally dividing the space into a dining and working area, using a walkway or carpet on the floor,
- to change the space, visually expanding, extending the room or vice versa - to give it a seclusion
- increase soundproofing of the room,
- to give the interior coziness and comfort.
What carpet to buy in the kitchen?
The main disadvantage of using the carpet in the kitchen is considered impractical in terms of cleaning - it is more difficult to protect and clean the carpet from dirt than the floor covering. In order to avoid mistakes and purchase a suitable element of the interior, let's consider in detail the issue how to choose a carpet in the kitchen.
One of the main selection criteria is practicality. Kitchen carpet should be resistant to moisture and dirt, easy and quick to clean. Therefore, before buy carpet in the kitchen, ask about the composition and structure of the product, the presence of water and dirt-repellent impregnation and durability characteristics.
Choose the shape of the carpet
The shape of the room or table under which you plan to lay the palace will help you decide on the shape of the carpet. Therefore, the carpet can be square or rectangular, and if the dining table has round shapes, it is oval or circle-shaped, respectively.
In this case, the way will have to carpet in the kitchen. Carpet tiles are small components of a square or rectangular carpet that can be used to construct a product of the required size.
What material to prefer
A kitchen zone is a constant risk of spilling or spilling something floor. That is why it is important to choose a carpet made from a material that is easy to dry and wet clean. Wool, nylon and polypropylene are common materials for kitchen rugs. Choose a carpet with a short nap or no pile at all.
The advantages of wool carpet are wear resistance and temperature regulation. Wool carpet can last more than 20 years. In winter, such a carpet warms, and on hot summer days it is not hot on it. But do not forget that wool products easily absorb moisture and are difficult to clean from dirt.
High-quality synthetic materials are more practical and easy to clean from dirt. Impregnated with special substances, such carpets repel moisture and dust. In addition, they are cheaper than products made from natural fabric.
Determine the design
The carpet is a unique element of the decor, which is able to set the tone for the atmosphere of the room. The design of the room itself determines the appearance of the carpet. We recommend to focus on the color palette of the kitchen and repeat it in the details depicted on the carpet canvas.
Let the lightest tones of the carpet reflect the color of the walls, and the dark elements repeat the colors of the room details, such as pillows or flowerpots. It is advisable to opt for a carpet with a small pattern - on it stains from dirt will not be so noticeable.
Browse the Internet carpet stores in Moscow and other cities - on company sites, how Art de Vivre is placed a photo carpet coverings. This will help determine the design decision.
The location determines the size of the carpet.
- Near the sink - here we stand for a long time, so a comfortable warm pad under your feet will be very helpful. In this case, a small square or rectangular carpet is enough.
- Along the working area. Position the narrow and elongated walkway near the kitchen unit. Уместным будет ковровое покрытие между рабочей зоной и островком или на пути к обеденной группе.
- Под обеденным столом. A simple way to choose the shape of the carpet is to repeat the shape of the dining table, under which the product will be located. The carpet should be larger and protrude beyond the perimeter of the table by at least 60 cm on each side. Then the legs of the chairs will not cling to the edge of the carpet.
What else is worth considering before buying
Do not forget that it is the carpet that can become the main element of the room decor and focus on the attention in the overall picture of the interior. If the kitchen is made in oriental motifs, it will be appropriate to purchase Indian or another handmade Asian carpet.
Lovers of safari-style will like the Palace with leopard coloring. In this case, please note that you should be careful with the animalistic details and do not overload the interior with them.
For the style of minimalism and loft fit lint free carpet product. As mats or double-sided carpet, this carpet will fit perfectly into the working area of the kitchen - it can be used at the sink or lay along the working area. Prices for such products are not high.
Cleaning and caring for kitchen rugs - tips
For comfort and convenience, fix the carpet with double-sided tape, you can also use rubber bands or a special Velcro. The best help in cleaning and leaving for carpet will be the right choice of carpet when buying.
As we said before, synthetic material should repel moisture, dust and dirt. The carpet must be regularly vacuumed, and as it gets dirty, wash it by hand or with a washing machine. If you purchased a woolen carpet, then be prepared - the carpet will shed the first six months. To clean it during this period should be dry using a brush, vacuum cleaner or a broom.
For any carpet, a dry type of cleaning is preferable, as it is gentle. But in our case we are talking about the carpet in the kitchen, so we can not do without wet cleaning. For these purposes, select the appropriate detergents. 1-2 times a year use dry cleaning services to thoroughly to clean product.
In fact, everything is not so critical, because the carpet in the kitchen, in addition to the aesthetic function, is able to solve a number of practical problems, and the right choice will help you to minimize drawbacks.
Arguments in his favor:
- If your kitchen has a cold tile floor, the carpet can literally and figuratively make it warmer and more comfortable and muffle the sounds.
- In a studio apartment or simply in a large kitchen, this decor item can become an original means of zoning a room: it can be used to isolate the dining area or to separate the work area from the rest of the space.
- The kitchen is a place where people often go. If the floor is worn out and has lost its appearance, and repairs for some reason are not soon, the carpet can play the role of its pretty disguise.
- Carpeting protects the surface of the floor from damage in case of falling objects or dents and scratches from the legs of the table and chairs.
- This item in the interior of the kitchen can visually change its size, which is especially important in small rooms.
- The carpet will help to make the design of the kitchen room original and stylish.
Carpet in the kitchen will look appropriate:
- At the sink,
- Along the working area
- In the eating area.
Such options are most common, but, of course, you can have your own, because when choosing a place for a carpet, you need to take into account the size of the room and how the furniture is arranged there.
The right choice of size and shape of the carpet is of great importance in the general sense of order and harmony in your kitchen. So, in a small room too large carpet would be inappropriate, one or several small rugs or mats would fit harmoniously into it. And, on the contrary, in a large room there is a place where imagination can be roamed: you can lay one large or several rugs of different sizes, united in style.
If you want to use the carpet to highlight the dining area, keep in mind that its parameters must be greater than the size of the table at least 60-70 cm on each side so that you can freely move the chairs.
Choose a place where you would like to lay the carpet, and with the help of scotch tape, make the outline of its outline on the floor in the most suitable parameters. Measure the resulting length and width.
Going to buy, you will know its approximate size and are confident that later you will not have to move furniture or trim the carpet.
In order for the carpet to fit organically into the overall interior, the choice of its shape must take into account the configuration of the dining table or room. For example, a square or round carpet is more suitable for a square room, and an oval-shaped model for a rectangular kitchen that is elongated in length. This principle should be followed in the selection of carpet for the dining area: the carpet is ideal if it repeats the shape of the table. Although options are possible:
- Under the round table - a round or square carpet,
- Under the rectangular table - a carpet of the same or oval shape,
- Under the oval table - rectangular or oval cover.
To care for the carpet in the kitchen gave you as little trouble as possible, you need to consider properties of the material from which it can be made:
- Wool - material is natural, hygienic and durable. She has excellent sound insulation qualities. Wool carpets are soft, warm and cozy, it is pleasant and useful to walk barefoot on them. Wool carpet is easy to clean, wash and does not shrink. Disadvantages - such carpets easily absorb moisture (which means that the spots from the spilled liquid will be harder to clean), dry for a long time and have a high cost.
- Cotton, jute, sisal, flax, bamboo and viscose - for connoisseurs of natural materials. They are hygienic, wash well and dry quickly. They are often used for the production of lightweight and practical mats (mattes). Products from these materials are light and affordable.
- Polyester - fiber of synthetic origin, in appearance and in quality characteristics similar to wool. It is dirt-resistant material, products from it are durable, easy to clean, do not fade, resistant to dirt and mold. Non-greasy stains from their surface are easy to remove, but oily stains can remain forever if left to process them later. One more minus - polyester is badly restored after deformation.
- Polypropylene (dekolan, ikselan). Carpets from this material do not absorb moisture at all, so everything that has been spilled is removed from the surface without any problems. They resist dirt and fading well, do not electrify and do not cause allergies, and are affordable.
- Acrylic - high-quality synthetic fiber. Products made of acrylic difficult to distinguish from wool. They have a number of advantages - they have dirt-repellent properties, do not absorb moisture, are resistant to the action of mold, and are easy to clean. This is a good option for allergies, they almost do not absorb dust. Carpets of acrylic have bright and saturated colors, as these fibers are painted better than others and do not fade. A significant minus for use in the kitchen - fatty contaminants are extremely poorly cleaned, in addition, with frequent use, the material rolls down, which spoils the appearance of the products.
- Flatviva - material from more perfect polypropylene. Flatv mats are very good: they produce a massage effect if you walk barefoot on them. This is achieved by interlacing threads of different thickness. Mats are beautiful in appearance and easy to care for.
- Mixed materials receive, using fibers of a different origin. Due to this, their quality characteristics are improved. For example, a hat-set material is obtained by adding polypropylene to the basic composition. Hat-set carpets do not electrify, they retain color and texture for a very long time.
From the above, it can be concluded that carpets made of synthetic materials for the kitchen are more preferable. As a rule, they do not cause allergies, are durable, lightweight, resistant to fire, possess dirt-repellent and antistatic properties and have good washable qualities, which greatly facilitates their care. In addition, they do not start the mole and microorganisms. Products from blended materials will also work well.
When buying mats made from natural materials, you should ask whether they are treated with special impregnations (dirt-repellent, insect-repellent, antistatic).
If you decide to lay a carpet with a long pile on the floor in the kitchen, be aware that you will never completely get rid of the spilled crumbs and dust and will be doomed to their endless cleaning. A lint-free version (mats, carpets, kilims, sumachs), or, in extreme cases, a rug with a very short nap, is best.
It should be noted that the coating with dense smooth weaving will be much easier to clean than a model with a dense but coarse texture.
Choosing a coloring, it is necessary to consider several factors:
- It is advisable to avoid light colors, no matter how you like the model. Even small spots will be noticeable on a light background, such a coating will often have to be cleaned. But if you cannot imagine your kitchen without such a rug, choose it from a material that is easy to clean and wash.
- Prefer carpets of non-stained saturated colors. Rugs with a motley pattern are very well suited - on such a surface, spilled crumbs or stains will be less noticeable.
- A narrow room can be visually made wider if you lay a carpet with transverse stripes or a “wave” and, on the contrary, you should not use such an option in the longitudinal design, since the impression of a narrow space will only increase.
- The shades of the floor covering should echo the hues of other design elements of the room: it can be the color of curtains, kitchen apron, upholstery on chairs, etc. The carpet, like the last puzzle in a puzzle, should combine all the different parts of the interior into a single whole and create harmony.
- If you have a bright kitchen, you should avoid equally catchy: the carpet should not be another flashy detail that lives its own life. The color solution in this case should be more relaxed and delicate, selected in a suitable range.
- A kitchen in restrained, soothing colors can liven up and become a bright accent of a rug with the texture of active colors (lilac, pink, red, etc.). Stripes, rhombuses or any other geometric pattern made in a similar range will add dynamics and movement and create a cheerful mood.
And if you support it with several kitchen accessories in tone, then it will organically blend into the interior, creating a feeling of celebration even in the most boring kitchen.
A few care tips
To prevent the purchased carpet from slipping on the floor, it is better to fix it with a sticky clamp or double-sided tape. This may not be necessary if the rug has a rubber base.
It is advisable to give preference to dry cleaning, but if you can not do without a wet method, then it is better to do it manually using non-rigid brushes and special detergents for carpet coatings.
At least once a year, the product must be dry-cleaned or, if possible, cleaned in the snow. For coatings made from natural materials, it is best to periodically carry out the treatment with special means of protection against insects.
To learn how to clean the carpet at home, you can find out in the next video.
Advantages and disadvantages
The presence of carpet in the kitchen should be justified. Here the question is important - is it needed at all? Let's try to answer this task and list the main advantages of carpet products on the kitchen floor:
- Carpet is an indispensable thing if there are young children or elderly people living in the house. This is justified by the fact that falls are possible at such ages, and the carpet will significantly soften its consequences. It is especially important if a tile is used as a floor covering.
- The carpet perfectly performs the function of zoning, which visually expands the space in the room. Allocates a dining area, defining a place in the kitchen that serves as a living room or a dining room. This is especially important for large kitchens.
- In kitchens of small sizes often use small rugs, which are located in the area of the desktop. Hostesses, who spend a lot of time in the process of cooking, the product helps to relieve a bit of pressure on the legs.
- A carpet is appropriate in the kitchen, where the flooring is laminate. In this case, it performs a protective function, preventing scratches and other defects on the laminate.
The rug allows you to give the design of the kitchen an original solution, to emphasize some objects and the chosen design style.
The disadvantages of carpet in the kitchen include:
- rapid contamination of the pile on the product,
- under the carpet, dust and debris also quickly collect,
- the complexity of the process of cleaning the kitchen room,
- quick wear - products used for the kitchen are often subjected to washing.
Choosing a carpet in the kitchen, consumers need to understand what the main characteristics of the product should correspond:
- It is necessary to acquire a carpet, for the manufacture of which solid materials were used. To simplify the care of the product, it is necessary that it is light and soft. It can be easily laid and assembled, and if the dimensions are small, then wash in the washing machine.
- Since the kitchen belongs to the category of premises that quickly become contaminated, the carpet must always be cleaned and washed. Therefore, you need to purchase products from materials that are resistant to household chemicals.
- In the case when the floor covering has a sliding surface, the carpet should be equipped from the seamy side with rubberized corners that can reduce the degree of slip. This will increase the safety of staying in the kitchen.
- If several rugs are used, for example, for a dining area and for providing a workplace, then the problem is solved simply - the products are selected in one design solution.
- If desired, you can purchase products that can provide a massage effect. Carpets with a special cushioning effect are also good - they allow you to reduce the load on the feet of the housewives during long cooking.
The main functional purpose of the carpet in the kitchen - the implementation of zoning. This allows you to solve several problems:
- highlight the dining area for greater comfort and convenience,
- reduce the degree of load on the floor from the legs of the table and chairs,
- reduce the likelihood of dishwashing, as if dropped on a carpet, it can remain intact,
- transform the design of the room, make a color accent.
Choice (what to look for)
The choice of carpet to the kitchen must be carried out according to several parameters, which in combination make it possible to realize the demands of consumers. What exactly the nuances should be noted below. Our recommendations will help you choose the model of the carpet that will fit both the interior and the functional purpose.
A significant role is played by the size of the carpet. Some cover the floor completely with carpet, while others prefer a small carpet. In the latter case, it is necessary to choose the correct size of the product, otherwise it may not fit into the overall situation or look awkward.
The main requirement - the size of the rug for the dining area should be more than the dimensions of the table not less than 60 cm.
On sale there are many options for carpets. The best option is to choose a form that will completely repeat the style of the table used for the dining area. This will allow to achieve the definition of lines and visually connect all components. The classic solution is square or round carpet models. Oval products are no less popular today.
The material for the rug in the kitchen should have good strength. This is justified by the fact that it is quite a large load. Models made from natural materials, for example, wool, react negatively to high humidity and household chemicals, quickly become dirty and are expensive - this is not the best option for the kitchen.
According to the recommendations of specialists, it is worth buying products made of synthetic fibers, for example, the advantage is a new material - polypropylene.
The basic principle in relation to the texture of a carpet product is that the smaller the nap, the more successful it is for use in the kitchen. If the carpet with a long nap, then clean it from stains and dirt is very difficult, because everything is absorbed directly into the fibers. The best option - beautiful lint-free products or carpet.
The optimal version of the carpet in the kitchen with non-marking colors. Unacceptable is the bright colors, which are visible on the slightest pollution. Even a small drop of coffee on a light carpet background will attract attention and create problems when cleaning it. The best choice is a dark or multi-colored carpet color. This fact will significantly reduce the work of caring for him.
In the video: the characteristics of different types of carpets and tips on choosing.
Loft, minimalism, high-tech
Loft, minimalism, hi-tech - these are the styles of modern orientation. У всех у них есть несколько одинаковых черт, которые направлены на обеспечение функциональности пространства, атмосферы свобод, технологичности, сведение к минимуму отягощающих деталей.
Лофт первым делом сочетает в себе несколько факторов, которые, по мнению некоторых, противоречивы между собой. For example, the seeming lack of quality and well-thought-out practicality and luxury. Not only the carpet, but the decor of the room itself should go in parallel in the design.
Loft-style flooring - “stone-like” tiles or wooden slats. Therefore, woven products of minimalist style are selected. An alternative can be lint-free rugs made of synthetic materials of almost smooth structure. For arranging the working area, you can use a mat, and in the dining area a felt and felt model is ideal.
Rugs in high-tech style associate practicality and conciseness. Kitchen decor is based on the use of metal and glass, and the flooring is cast or finished with ceramic tiles. Under these conditions, a lint-free version of the carpet is more appropriate. The shape is suitable rectangular, and the design - monophonic or with the presence of geometric patterns.
The minimalism style uses practical models that do not slide on the surface. In the color scheme preferred gray, black, brick shades, wood colors.
Rustic and retro
Retro style represents a variety of options. This is justified by the fact that it takes its beginning from Victorian times and did not lose popularity until the 50s. Therefore, the appearance of kitchens can differ dramatically.
The most popular style in the design of the kitchen interior is vintage. This is due to the fact that retro things of the 60s can be purchased without much difficulty.
The carpet in the interior of the kitchen of the English style is used from expensive materials, which, like furniture, has a noble color. Even a long nap is allowed. For the design of the room in the spirit of the 40s, bright handmade models are suitable.
It is interesting to look at the kitchen simple products - woven or hand-knitted. They are placed near the worktop and in the work area.
Classic, Modern, Art Deco, Gothic, Baroque
Requirements for rugs that can be laid in the kitchen, decorated in the appropriate styles:
- For classics you need a carpet on the kitchen floor in the same color range. Mainly reserved colors are used: from beige to cognac, blue, olive, dark green, gray.
- Art Nouveau style welcomes monochrome. Pretentious shades and shapes of textiles are not allowed, although some degree of curvature is possible.
- Art Deco combines modern modern and neo-classicism. It involves a brighter design, and sometimes decor, built on contrast. Monochromatic models or carpets with large geometric patterns and ornaments are chosen.
- Carpets with a large pile in purple, brown, yellow, blue color, which are located in the dining area and near the workplace, fully corresponding to the historical elements in the decor of the room itself, represent the Gothic design.
- Laying the carpet on the floor in the Baroque style can be to give wealth and luxury. Refinement is the hallmark of such an interior. The carpet should not simplify the luxury of the situation, but on the contrary, emphasize it.
All the presented tips will help to make certain conclusions and choose the desired model of carpet in the kitchen. For more information, you can view photos in our gallery below or read the views of visitors to various sites, left in the comments.
Advantages and disadvantages
In addition to creating comfort in the room, a carpet can perform a number of practical functions. The list of advantages of using textile coatings in cooking rooms is as follows:
- the carpet makes a warmer tile floor. In addition, it well muffles the sounds that occur when walking on a ceramic surface,
- Such textiles can be an original way to divide the kitchen space into working and dining areas. This reception is especially appropriate in small rooms or studio apartments,
- since the area around the work area is often walked, the flooring in this place wears out and loses its original appearance faster than the rest of the area. The carpet can act as a kind of original masking of scuffs,
- textiles protect the floor from scratches and bumps from falling objects,
- using the carpet you can achieve a visual increase or decrease in the room,
- Textile coatings become part of the design ideas and complement the interior of the kitchen, decorated in a particular style.
The main disadvantage of this decor is additional work to maintain its appearance in good condition. For this reason, many apartment owners prefer not to lay carpets in the kitchen. An erroneous choice of the shape, size, or color of a textile product can negatively affect the perception of the image of the kitchen. It is necessary to acquire a carpet only after careful measurements and the analysis of a color palette of an interior.
How to choose a carpet in the kitchen
In the dining room, a textile covering is usually placed near the sink, along the working area or under the dining table. The relevance of a particular option is dictated by the size and style of the kitchen. Also, it is mandatory to take into account the layout of the room and the configuration of furniture.
In a modest room, a large carpet will look out of place. Small kitchens should be decorated with mats or walkways, and the spacious ones allow you to lay wide textile coverings or use several items for decoration, united by a common style. If you plan to place the carpet in the dining area, you should correctly calculate its size. The width and length of the product should exceed the same parameters of the dining table by 60-70 cm on each side. This reserve is necessary for the free movement of chairs or stools. In order not to be mistaken with the dimensions, before going to the store, you should draw the markings for the future carpet on the floor and measure it with a tape measure. Mark the contours of this element of the decor can be with scotch tape.
When choosing this option for the carpet in the kitchen, consider the configuration of the dining table and the room as a whole. For rooms with walls of the same length, square and round products will do. In oblong rooms, rectangular and oval carpets look good. The exact same principle should be followed when choosing textiles directly for the dining area.
Carpets differ in their composition. They may be of natural or synthetic origin. The most suitable for the kitchen are considered models of such materials:
- wool - carpets from it are durable, hygienic and have good sound insulation qualities,
- cotton, jute, flax - natural materials, products from which are easy to wash,
- polyester - high-quality synthetics with dirt-repellent properties,
- polypropylene - artificial hypoallergenic material, products from which are well tolerated in cleaning, washing, preserving the original appearance,
- acrylic - fiber imitates natural wool, while possessing dirt-repellent properties,
- combined products - in the manufacture of such carpets use different materials, which allows to improve their performance.
For the kitchen should select models with a short nap or even without him. Such options are much easier to clean and wash. It is possible to put in order products with long pile only with professional help. These carpets are best left for living rooms and bedrooms. Also choosing textiles for the kitchen, you should opt for products with a dense and smooth texture. They are much better amenable to washing, unlike the relief models.
When choosing the tone of the carpet for the kitchen should take into account the following tips:
- light shades are very impractical. On such a background the smallest spots will be clearly visible. If desired, you can buy a carpet of modern materials that are easy to wash and do not lose their shape from frequent hygiene procedures,
- The best option for the kitchen is the motley colors of the model. Such a carpet will successfully hide the defects arising during operation in the conditions of the cooking room,
- the tone of the textile should overlap with the color gamut of other decorative elements,
- for a bright kitchen should choose a more restrained carpeting, with which you can slightly dim the causing saturation of the primary color,
- A discreet room in neutral colors can be “revived” with the help of bright models with original intricate patterns.
What styles will the carpet fit into?
This element of decor is acceptable for many design directions. The main criterion for choosing a product in the kitchen can be called its compliance with the concept of the room. Exceptions are styles, the basic principle of which is increased practicality and functionality. This applies to such modern trends as minimalism and high-tech.
This style has no rigid framework for the selection of decorative elements. The main feature of the loft is the presence of surfaces that mimic the brickwork. The "attic" kitchen can be decorated with a carpet with similar patterns. Also here it will be appropriate to look textured products with a variety of geometric patterns.
This style is characterized by the use of outdated accessories. If you need to buy a carpet for the retro-kitchen, you should pay attention to the natural models with floral and geometric patterns that were in vogue in the 80s of the last century. These are both small mats or walkways, as well as a large carpet for the dining area. You should avoid cutting-edge synthetic models.
In the rooms, decorated in this style, a large role is given to textile products. Curtains, pillows, tablecloths, towels and carpets should be in the same color scheme. For country style use small mottled mats and smooth tracks along the working area. It is preferable to purchase products of restrained tones with simple floral patterns, cage or stripes.
Creating a similar design requires a delicate taste in the selection of accessories. In classic kitchens, most often use one large carpet for the dining area. You should give preference to low-key products with elegant ornaments. Also look good solid models, the color of which is perfectly combined with the decoration of the room.
How to care
Some carpet materials tend to slide over the flooring. To avoid this, you should secure the product with a clamp or double-sided tape. You can also choose carpets with a rubberized base. The best care option is dry cleaning. Thus it is possible to preserve the original appearance and texture of products longer. If you need to wash the carpet, you need to use soft brushes and special detergents. Textiles should be dry-cleaned once a year. Products made from natural fabrics should be treated with products that protect the nap from various insects.
The carpet can be used to visually increase and decrease the space of the room. The narrow kitchen is easy to “expand” using a model with transverse stripes or waves. Longitudinal execution of such a pattern will help to make the room too spacious more comfortable. A successful design move is considered to be a harmonious combination of carpet ornaments and other textiles. Also, patterns can overlap with the pattern on the tile, wallpaper and other surfaces of the kitchen.